MOMFIDENCE is raising your child freehand, rather than a paint by numbers kit. To paraphrase Lucy van Pelt of Peanuts: The expert is within.
This reminded me not only of our daily life with Elias, but specifically of our troubles breastfeeding when he was about 6 weeks old. Elias and I (and in effect, Christopher) were miserable as we fought to continue breastfeeding when it just wasn't working. Our pediatrician's office had seen us daily and each doctor had a different solution. All the joy was gone from the experience. I felt like I just wanted to start formula, but felt extreme guilt at the same time. It wasn't until Elias started losing weight that we made the decision to supplement and eventually, convert to formula exclusively. I know we have shared with many of you, especially our new mom friends, what a dramatic difference it made in our lives. I felt like a mom reborn. And I had known all along what to do, but was too consumed with what the books and doctors said.
MOMFIDENCE is venting about how "doing it all" is one of the dopier cliche goals leftover from the 1980s. Doing the best you can while trying to do as much as you really truly need to is the best anybody can hope for.
I definitely need to apply this truth as I start school and learn to balance household responsibilites with schoolwork and with quality family time. If ever there was a time to prioritize, that time is now.
Hopefully our friends who have new babies can connect with these things and for those with babies on the way, start developing your MOMFIDENCE now. Forget the diaper bag, it's the most important thing you'll need!
Speaking of moms-to-be, click on the picture below to link to a slideshow from Katie DeCicco's baby shower this past weekend. Elias and I went down to Charlotte a few days before and spent some time with my Mom and sister. There are some pictures of Elias towards the end...professional haircut #3!
No comments:
Post a Comment