Sunday, December 9, 2007

Weekend Update

I am happy to announce that I am officially done with my first semester of grad school! So far, I know I made an A...yes, an A!!! in one class. I turn in a paper Monday morning for my other class and hopefully will do just as well.
So far, grad school has been enjoyable and not as hard as I thought it would be. It takes a team effort to time manage (three cheers for Christopher who has picked up MAJOR slack along the way) and not get behind on readings and assigments. And it definitely takes an established time each week to work on school, as I have gotten with Elias being in a parents-morning-out program two mornings a week. My philosophy (passed down to me from more experienced working mom friends who are also going back to school...love you Athena!) has been to take one week, one assignment at a time...to do the best I can with the time I have. I didn't set out to make an A, but sure am proud I did! And again, I must credit Christopher for being so supportive...could not have done it without his help. And while I am thanking people, I should send an online shout-out = ) to Grandma, who babysat quite a few times to give me some school time. They say it takes a village to raise a child and I think the same applies to getting through grad school!
Work has been tough this Fall...we lost children that were very dear to my heart and it's been harder than usual to move on. Somehow, I still love it. I love the people I work with, which helps a lot. I have never worked with a more amazing group of women. I feel like they are a part of my extended family.


Elias is talking a lot more, although currently in a language we do not understand. It's beautiful to listen to! I'll try and post soon some video we took today of him talking. Speech therapy continues to go well and we love seeing our speech therapist twice a week. Stacy has become part of "Team Elias" and we are grateful for her. Elias still loves his school and brings home the greatest artwork. We have made a "gallery" for him in our kitchen and he loves to point out what he has made. He knows his shapes and colors and when asked, can point out all kinds of animals...including the bald eagle and and spider monkey (from Panda Bear, Panda Bear by Eric Carle).
We had a great Thanksgiving at Grandma's with Brian, Katie and Taylor Grace and even enjoyed some day-after shopping. Click on Thanksgiving for a link to our pictures. Elias seems to know Taylor Grace (4 1/2 months older) is his cousin and constantly gives her "pat-pat's," which is his version of hugs. Very sweet.
Grandpa stopped in for dinner while in town for business trip and had fun seeing Elias in action. Christopher's high school pal, Leslie, was also in town and we had a blast with her and dog, Lou. We even took them to our favorite park, where Lou was a big hit. Click on the picture below to see other random pictures from November.

And finally, we were happy to visit with Kimary, who has moved to the west coast to pursue a career in nurse-midwifery, while she was home for Thanksgiving. Click on the picture below to see all the pictures!

No comments: